Home Loan Checklist for Lawyers

Photo by: Tingey Injury Law Firm on Unsplash.
A brown gavel on a white surface.

As lawyers, you’re ready to start the home loan application process, but you’re not sure what documents you’ll need to provide to your lender. Preparing the right documents can mean the difference between your application being approved and rejected, so this is an important step in the application process.

In fact, this home loan checklist for lawyers will give you an idea of what documents you’ll need to gather for your home loan application and why they’re important. You can also use our home loan checklist document, a downloadable resource that will help you keep track of your progress as you gather these documents. This checklist also includes information about refinancing.

Remember, different lenders will have different requirements you’ll need to meet to be eligible for their loans, so it’s important to do your research when looking at home loans. If you’re finding it difficult to determine your eligibility for a home loan or prepare your application, then, getting in touch with a broker can help.

In this home loan checklist, we’ll split the documents you need into a few sections:

  • Special documentation for lawyers  
  • Personal identification
  • Income details
  • Assets and Liabilities
  • Expenses
  • Property details

Special documentation for lawyers

In order to apply for home loans for lawyers or other home loans for professionals, you’ll need to provide some additional documentation. This is because these documents prove that you’re a registered and practicing lawyer and that you’re likely to be able to pay back your loan.

Income requirements

You’ll also need to prove you meet the income requirements for home loans for lawyers in your state or territory, which are:

  • $150 000 per annum in NSW, VIC, QLD and the ACT
  • $120 000 per annum in SA, WA, TAS and the NT

If you don’t meet the income requirements listed above, you may still be eligible for a home loan for lawyers. If your total application income is $150 000 per annum or more (e.g., you and your spouse’s combined income), some lenders may accept your application. A broker can help you determine whether you’ll be eligible before you apply.

Industry membership requirements

You’ll also need to prove you have a current industry membership to a recognised association in your industry. For instance, some examples include:

  • The Australian Bar Association
  • The Law Society of New South Wales
  • Law Society of South Australia
  • Law Council of Australia
  • QLD Law Society
  • Law Institute of Victoria

Personal identification

Also, your lender will require documentation to verify your identity. This is usually provided by primary photo identification, for example, which includes your current:

  • Passport
  • Driver’s licence
  • Proof of Age Card or other State or Territory issued photo card

If you cannot provide any primary photo identification, your lender will require secondary identification documents. This could include your:

  • Birth certificate
  • Medicare card
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Recent utility bills with your name and current address
  • Tax assessment notice
  • Debit/credit card information

Income details

Your income details are very important when applying for home loans for lawyers. Everyone’s income situation is different and different lenders require different types of documentation for your application to be accepted. It’s important to be familiar with a lender’s specific requirements before you apply to them so you don’t miss anything.

Here’s what you’ll need to provide to your lender based on the most common income types:

  • Employee (full-time, part-time or casual): Two or three of your most recent payslips and a payment summary from your employer
  • Self-employed: Your ABN (Australian Business Number) and ATO tax assessments from the past two years
  • Rental income: A signed lease and your most recent rental statement
  • Foreign income: Evidence of that income for the last three months
  • Government income (superannuation, pension, annuity, etc.): Evidence of that income for the last three months
  • Interest or dividend income: Evidence of the current balance of the asset and income earned in the last 12 months

Types of incomes

You may also be wondering what kinds of income are accepted by lenders and what conditions surround each income type. These conditions vary from lender to lender, but this list can be used as a general guide:

  • Base PAYG salary: 100% accepted for full time and part time work
  • Casual income: 100% can be accepted. Most lenders require you to have remained with the same employer for at least 12 months, however, some will accept a casual income after 3 months with your current employer
  • Overtime: Some lenders will accept 100%, however, most lenders only accept 80%. In any case, you will need to have stayed with your current employer for at least 3 months
  • Allowances: Some lenders will accept 100%, however, most banks only accept 80%. This all depends on the type of allowance

Assets and Liabilities

Your assets are the things you own and your liabilities are current outstanding debts. When looking for information on your assets and liabilities, a lender may ask for:

  • A detailed list of your assets
  • Any personal loan statements
  • Your debit/credit card statements
  • Any store card statements
  • Superannuation statements
  • Information about shares you own
  • Account statements from the past three months for all loan, savings and transaction accounts you have (including proof of your deposit)

Usually, you will need to provide evidence of these assets and liabilities for the last three months. Make sure you check what your lender will require from you.


Details regarding your expenses are also important for lenders to have when you apply for a home loan. Your lender will typically ask for monthly expenses, which can include:

  • Current rent or board information
  • Current child support details
  • Higher Education/Vocational Training
  • Insurance (including life, health, sickness and personal accident insurance)
  • Medical and health (excluding insurance)
  • Private or independent primary and secondary schooling and tuition
  • Utility bills
  • Recreation and entertainment
  • Telephone/internet/pay TV/media streaming plans and subscriptions
  • Transport
  • Other applicable monthly costs

Property details

Your lender will also need some information about the property you’re applying for before they can finalise your home loan.

If you’re buying an existing home, you will need:

  • A signed contract of sale

If you’re building a home, you will need:

  • A signed contract of sale
  • Council approval building plans and specifications or a building permit
  • A Fixed Price Builders Contract  

So, if you’re ready to find your home loan, we’re ready to help. Get in touch with one of our experienced brokers via our website, or explore our other posts about home loans for lawyers.

Disclaimer: The information provided is general in nature and does not constitute financial advice. Please speak to us for recommendations on your individual circumstances and requirements.