Benevolence Financial Group (BFG) is now Open Home Loan. Start home loan rate tracking and let Open automatically shop around for you – over your loan duration. When your ideal rate is reached, we’ll ask your bank to match it. Choose to stay or switch in minutes. No effect on credit score. Start for free.

[forminator_form id="6033"]


Aussie Expat Home Loans
& Foreign Currency Exchange

Looking to buy a house back home? Our free currency exchange tool can help identify if your current currency is accepted at our partner banks.

And here’s your guide that’ll make your home buying journey a breeze

Experts on Your Home Buying Journey

What you need to know

Can I get a home loan as an Aussie expat?

  • You can still apply for a mortgage in Australia if you are an Australian citizen living and working overseas. Most lenders will consider your loan application on the same basis as they would for an Australian citizen residing in Australia.

How much can an Aussie expat borrow?

  • PAYG income borrowers may be able to borrow up to 90% of the property value. The remaining 10% deposit plus extra funds to cover things like stamp duty, legal fees, and LMI will have to be covered by the expat borrower.
  • Self-employed expat borrowers will be evaluated on a case-to-case basis and may be able to borrow up to 80% of the property value.

What else should I consider?

  • There are obligations that come with owning an investment property. You must file tax returns that would include rental income and the funds from the sale of your property.
  • Depending on the lender, your serviceability may be assessed through a percentage of your actual income (60-100%) including bonuses, commissions, and allowances. 
  • Some lenders allow large exchange rate variations and some use Australian tax rates instead of the tax rate of the country you are currently living. These factors could limit the amount that can borrow.

I’m buying with a foreign partner. Is that possible?

  • Lenders aren’t likely to accept your partner’s income if they are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident though there are some exceptions.
  • If you are buying a property with someone who is not an Australian citizen, it may be cheaper to buy the property in your name only to avoid paying a surcharge on stamp duty. 
  • If you are married or in a de-facto relationship with a foreign citizen, lenders will assess you and your partner as Australian citizens or foreign investors.

What currencies are accepted?

Many lenders will accept foreign income in the form of different currencies. Some of the most common currencies include:

  • United States Dollar (USD)
  • Euro (EUR)
  • Great Britain Pound Sterling (GBP)
  • Canadian Dollar (CAD)
  • New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
  • Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)
  • Singapore Dollar (SGD)
  • Japanese Yen (JPY)

Why Choose BFG?

As trusted mortgage experts, we simplify the process and guide your decision to secure the best possible home loan for your goals. We are the first and only social enterprise mortgage brokerage firm in Sydney specialising in home loans with a purpose. 50% of profits made are invested to build affordable housing for families in need.

A Home For A Home

When you get your home loan, another family gets a home built. Our mission is to serve 1% of Australian homebuyers by 2030, translating to over sixty thousand families getting into the property market and over $50 million in donations in the next 10 years. That is 100s of families provided with stable homes in Australia or sixteen thousand in the Asia Pacific (costs $3,000 per house in Asian Pacific).

Frequently Asked Questions

We have access to 30+ banks and can provide you with the best deal fit for your specific needs. We provide you with the advice and guidance in choosing the right structure, product and bank that will meet your requirements. We work for YOU, not for the bank.

Benevolence Group Australia Pty Ltd trading as Benevolence Financial Group (ABN 52634 787 312) is a Credit Representative Number 490057 authorized under Australian Credit License Number 390261, Finance Brokers Association of Australia Limited Member Number: M-345414, and registered with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority Limited. For Privacy Policy and Feedback, please contact us at hello@bfgloans.com.au

If you are thinking about securing a loan or refinancing, enquire online and speak to one of our experienced brokers today or schedule a consultation for a later date.

Send Us a question

Have something in mind?